Friday, February 25, 2011

Seeds and Chickens ordered!

I think it took a whole week or so...geez! I spent over 700 bucks (not including the seed potatoes!) so I hope that's enough! I tried to pare it down as much as I could, but I didn't want to sacrifice much variety. I love to go through and read all (or as many as I can stand) of the descriptions of varieties...and then try to pick what I need. I can't even tell you how many varieties we have of tomoatoes, peppers, and squash, but it's a lot. I like variety, how about you? Plus I like to experiment and see what will grow best in our conditions. I loved, loved, loved reading the seed catalogs, and learning all kinds of things, like where paprika comes from...it's a ground up pepper!

Anyway, it's DONE and I'm so relieved! Now I hope it gets here soon! We need to start some seeds, and ideally we would started some by 3 weeks ago. Isaac found some materials at a second hand building material store and built some shelves where we can start the seeds. He got some used flourescent lights too. Soon our dining room will be full of this operation, heated by our wood stove.

Isaac went to a local fruit tree workshop put on by U of I today. I think he learned a lot about caring for our sad old orchard trees. He is officially our orchard person now, thank God! I'm not sure the orchard thing is for me...it's pretty crazy what you have to do to grow fruit, especially organically.

I also just ordered our chicks we will grow for meat...50 Red Cornish. They are coming April 5th!

No comments:

Post a Comment