Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Beginning!

So...I've been wanting to keep a blog about our farm for about a year now, but we didn't have a name to attach to a blog. This blog is the story of our farm...how we got here, how we started, our journey as we continue.

Presently, I am taking a break from seed ordering. It has been a daunting, week-long job, with many interruptions from my 2 yr old sweetie of course. Checking out 4 different seed companies or so, reading the descriptions of each variety... in fact, it was through this that I realized the name for our farm! There was a variety of something, Tat Soi I think, that was called 'Evenstar' which of course took me back to Tolkein, and that is something that our whole little family can agree on, and we all actually liked it, so it stuck! And that was that, after almost a whole year of agonizing over the name choice. I really wanted 'owl' or some kind of raptor name in there, since that was what I studied (and loved) in my previous life, and we have plenty of around here, but alas, it was not meant to be. I like stars though too. The name EvenStar is an old name for "Evening Star" which is the planet Venus, who is also a goddess of fertility. Fitting for a farm, no?!

A big reason why we have this farm is because of my Dad, Don. He was also a lover of the stars and anything 'outer space' really. Stephen Hawking's stuff always blew him away, and it was fun to hear him talk about it. I believe he is in the stars right now, looking down and watching over us, our very own EvenStar.

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Kristin....This is way more fitting for you guys than where I visited you...You are now really in your element. I'm happy for you and look forward to pics and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. following you, girl! this is so exciting. can't wait to visit. "wonder-full"!!

    ReplyDelete