Monday, May 9, 2011

May already! And Carrots...

So...we're just getting more greenhouse plants into the ground, in between storms as usual. Today's a good windy wet soil cold day for computer work. In the last couple of weeks, we planted about 70 asparagus plants...sorry, they won't be producing for a couple of years! Then I got some carrot seeds into the ground...now that is quite a job! My 250-dollar 'precision seeder' isn't really working out because our ground is too full of chunks, rocks, and such for now. I honestly haven't done a great job at growing beautiful, straight carrots in the past, and this year I am determined to do it!! And that means spacing the seeds out properly. So...that means I've been on my hands and knees planting carrot seeds out of a dial seeder, one by one...very time consumingly, but lovingly. I also waited until our 'new' area was ready for planting because it is nice and sandy...great for growing straight carrots, I hope! (last year they were in clay and not thinned enough, so were fat, stubby, twisted, and forked).

No comments:

Post a Comment